Monday, November 17, 2014

Baby Quilt Tutorial-Quilt By Machine

In this tutorial, we will machine quilt our "sandwiched" quilt that we assembled in the prior blog on how to assemble a quilt sandwich. 

  This technique works best with a walking foot.  This particular presser foot helps feed the layers over the dog feet (the zig-zag like treads under the presser foot).  It can only go forward and backward and is typically only used for directional lines and stitching in the ditch.  (perhaps another tutorial?)

Another technique to quilt on the machine is free motion quilting.  This technique uses a darning or open toed presser foot. The dog feet are dropped out of the way and the quilt sandwich is moved with your hands to create intricate and creative designs!  I'm just beginning to try this technique.  

Lastly is a technique using the normal foot and machine stitches programmed into your machine.  Stippling, zig-zag, curves, shells, etc are all designs that can be used as is or modified to create quilting lines to hold your sandwiched layers together.  This photo is demonstrating an "S" stitch that I elongated to quilt the plaid sections of the baby quilt.  The painter's tape (I use a LOT of painter's tape in my studio!!!) is a method to keep me lined up properly without having to mark the quilt and wash the marks out.  Just stitch a line, measure and quilt, move it and start again!

It is best to start quilting from the center of the quilt and move outward in quadrants.  The purpose behind this rule of thumb is to smooth the layers from the middle to the outside edges.  Creeping can occur (and is normal) of the layers as the presser foot feeds them through the machine.  That is why I included the "grace" (see other Baby quilt tutorials) on all the edges.

I also like to vary my patterns.  On the elephant print I did a straight stitch set on the diagonal.  The plaid got a wavy stitch and the chevron I followed the zig-zag of the fabric.  
 
This is the backing I used-plaid is on the reverse.  Note that the waves aren't perfect!

Remember to have a new needle 90/14or 80/12, a full bobbin ( I hate to run out in the middle of a sewing sequence) and good thread.  (Perhaps another post?)


Happy stitching!
Renee


P.S.All tutorials, information and images are the property of Renee Galloway at Ney Ney's Nest and are intended for personal use only.  Feel free to re-blog, pin, share with attribution to Ney Ney's Nest.  For all other purposes, please contact me at reneegalloway@me.com.  Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment