Monday, November 11, 2013

Wedding Smocking

I've been rather busy lately with custom orders for fall weddings!  I just love creating heirloom quality flower girl dresses.  The bride requested long dresses for two flower girls for her Nov. 2 wedding date.

After several consultations and much discussion, we decided on a basic yoke dress with a smocked skirt that would be floor length.  The dresses were made from white batiste as well as the matching slips.  I personalized the slips with a small monogram and finished the yoke edges of the slips with a scallop stitch prior to attaching to the skirt.

Walicek Wedding Slip Detail

 

A small piece of insertion was added to the shoulder seam of the slip (after cutting too much off..oops) and will probably be one of my trademarks since it looked really good!

Walicek Wedding Slip Insertion

 

 

The smocking design came in a vintage Oliver Goodin pattern I had used numerous times for my daughter when she was little. We decided to use ivory thread to match the bride's dress and I added small seed pearls after smocking inside the 6 cables that stacked to form the pattern.  This was the perfect contrast to the white dresses! The puffing effect in the center was formed after pulling the gathering threads.

Walicek Wedding Detail

 

Ivory lace was gathered and added to white beading for sleeve detail.  Ribbon was threaded through the beading  from each side and tied in the center of the sleeve and tacked down prior to sewing the sleeve seam.

Walicek Wedding Sleeve

 

Ivory batiste sateen was used for the piping, bias neck binding and covered buttons.

Walicek Wedding Dresses Back

 

A deep hem was put in to allow the little girls to wear them for several years.  I think the bride was going to keep one dress for her future children.  A really great idea!

Flower girls

 

I think they turned out beautifully!

Happy Stitching!

Renee

2 comments:

  1. Yes, they did Renee!! They were exactly what we wanted and the little girls looked like angels walking down the aisle. Thanks again for all you did!! They were beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to have a look at this post!! I am also thinking to have a grand royal themed wedding so I have been searching for related inspirations for décor and food. I have just booked a beautiful event space in LA for the ceremony. We have to hire a decorator. Can you provide any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete